Since the establishment of the Mellerio dits Meller company in 1613, the brand has crafted numerous exceptional pieces of high end jewelry. A family firm, which has spanned fourteen generations of skilled designers and craftsmen, Mellerio names queens and empresses among the list of its elite clientele. Though originally from the Lombardy region of Italy, the family settled itself and its business in Paris, France, where it remains to this day.
The long history of the company intertwines with the history of Europe. The family were tied to Marie de Medici, and crafted jewels for the royal houses of France — including an exquisite cameo and ruby bracelet for the ill-fated Marie-Antoinette and a number of items for Josephine of the later Imperial Napoleonic family — and Spain. A phenomenal tiara, dubbed the Mellerio Shell Tiara, was created for the Infanta, Queen Isabelle II of Spain, in the 19th century. The company established its permanent location at No. 9 rue de la Paix in 1815, immediately following a reorganization and beautification of the city of Paris by Napoleon Bonaparte. This location is still the headquarters for the family company and is a beacon of history in its own right. From their prime real estate near the Place Vendome, the family continues to craft impeccable pieces of fine jewelry.